Sleep is an important part of our life. Without sleep, our immune system takes a toll which makes us more likely to get sick.
However, it’s not only sleep that is important, it is also the quality of the sleep that is important. And if you all are anything like me, quality sleep is hard to come by these days.
Whether it’s the anxiety of COVID-19 keeping you awake, fear of paying your bills that keep you tossing and turning, or suddenly it’s just not being tired for some reason. Most of us know the feeling.
Here is how I’ve been able to get a great night’s rest and wake up feeling refreshed:
- Try to stick to a schedule and stay on it. It’s important to go to sleep and wake-up at the same time every day. Of course, that’s harder on the weekends and it seems every day is a weekend, right now. But if you stick to a routine, especially a bed time routine it signals to your brain it’s time to sleep.
- Home temperature. Keep your home cool at night for a better sleep.
- I don’t enjoy meditation. It’s not my thing. However, I saw this easy breathing technique and it’s been wonderful! Lie on your back (or sit up – when I’m at my desk) with one hand on your stomach and the other on your heart. Inhale deeply through your nose for 4 to 6 seconds. When your lungs are full, pause, then exhale through your nose in a long, smooth motion for 4 to 6 seconds. Pause again, and repeat until you feel calm and relaxed.
- Be grateful. State three things you are grateful for. Not only will you feel more at peace going to sleep, but you will wake up feeling more positive.
- Try CBD. CBD is a legal, natural product that comes in many forms including oils, capsules, and the popular gummy bears. Many CBD products combine the sleep-promoting power of melatonin specifically formulated to help you get a better night’s rest. My favorites are these CBD/Melatonin butter mints. If you’re not in to mints or melatonin, these oils or gummy bears do the trick as well sans melatonin.
Through all this, remember, you’re not alone. A lot of people are struggling right now.