CBD is the acronym for cannabidiol, a cannabinoid, a naturally occurring molecule unique to cannabis plants.
Cannabinoids engage with the human endocannabinoid system, which affects basic biological functions, such as sleep, pain, mood, immune function, and appetite.
However, CBD is non-psychoactive, which means it doesn’t make people feel high, as is the case with THC.
CBD can take many forms. Many people prefer gummies over CBD oil and other forms because gummies are more enjoyable. I personally enjoy gummies because they are easier to consume in public, more discreet, and tasty! They also satisfy my sugar cravings!
Most gummies contain between 5–25 mg of CBD per piece. The strength of the gummy will provide relaxation or drowsiness, depending on your end goal. The optimal dosage is determined by a range of factors, such as the individual’s weight, age, metabolism, expected effects and whether it’s their first time with CBD.
The CBD in most CBD gummies comes from hemp plants and has been separated from THC and other cannabinoids. These products are labeled as “Zero THC” or “THC-free.”
In this guide, we’ll cover exclusively THC-free gummies which is all we offer, here at My Pain Center.
Shopping for the Best CBD Gummies: Buyer’s Guide
Many people dislike the taste of natural CBD oil, and they prefer to take their supplement in the form of a capsule or edible. Gummies are hands down the most popular edible product on the market for CBD users.
Most of the time, gummies are flavored with fruit juice or concentrate, which are responsible for their pleasant taste and mask the flavor of CBD. Gummies are also soft, chewable, and delicious making them a good option for people who don’t like to hold a CBD oil under their tongue or swallow pills.
Gummies are available in a wide range of strengths. The most common strength is 10mg.
What Is CBD?
Short for cannabidiol, CBD is a cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. Cannabinoids are natural chemicals that interact with a neurochemical network known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS). These interactions can affect functions like memory, immune response, pain transmission, appetite, mood, and sleep.
As a result, products containing CBD can help users deal with symptoms associated with many physical and mental conditions, including:
- Anxiety and stress;
- Chronic pain;
- Insomnia and other sleep disorders; and
Since CBD comes from cannabis, and many people associate cannabis with marijuana and getting high, some people wonder whether their CBD gummies can produce any psychoactive effects?
The answer: no, as long as they are sourced from hemp. Hemp-derived products contain less than 0.3% THC, which is not enough to get the user high.
With marijuana, things are a little bit different. CBD oil from marijuana contains higher concentrations of THC and has moderate-to-potent psychoactive properties.
Marijuana-derived products are only legal in states that have legalized the medical or recreational use of cannabis.
Hemp extracts, including CBD gummies, are legal in all 50 states as a result of the 2018 Farm Bill.
Please note that this guide focuses on CBD gummies that have zero THC.
What Makes CBD Gummies Different From Other Products?
There’s a reason why CBD gummies have become so popular in the United States. They offer a unique experience for CBD consumers, combining easy dosing with fun and portability. CBD gummies also provide an easy way to experiment and try CBD.
Here are the most common features of CBD gummies:
- Longer-Lasting Effects: CBD gummies are taken orally, just like other edibles. Given this, they typically have a slightly slower onset than CBD oil, but they also produce longer-lasting effects. However, the strength of effects also depends on the gummy’s potency.
- Low-to-Moderate Concentration: Most CBD gummies carry between 5–25 mg per count. The ideal potency depends on the consumer’s weight, age and the type of effects they desire. For most people the 10–25 mg range is sufficient, although those with severe symptoms may need stronger formats of CBD in their routine.
- Isolate vs. Full-Spectrum: Isolate-based products only contain CBD, while full-spectrum extracts feature the whole array of other non-psychoactive cannabinoids like cannabinol (CBN) or cannabigerol (CBG), as well as trace amounts of THC, terpenes and other nutrients. Most CBD gummies sold today are made with 99% pure isolate or using a broad-spectrum extracts, in which CBD and the remaining compounds were separated from THC.
- Lots of Flavors to Choose From: CBD gummies come in a very wide range of flavors, including fruity, exotic, herbal and sour options.
- Sugars vs. Sweeteners: CBD gummies can be sweetened with natural fruit juices and concentrates. Some companies use sweeteners like stevia, erythritol or aspartame, whereas others use regular sugar for improved taste of their products.
- Affordable: Of course, CBD gummies are more expensive than your average Haribo bears, but considering the quality of ingredients, they are priced very reasonably for a guilt-free snack. For example, the average price for a package containing 30 pieces of 10 mg gummies is $25—this breaks down to roughly 83 cents per gummy.
Are CBD Gummies Safe?
Most products containing CBD oil—including CBD gummies—are considered generally safe as long as they come from a trusted source.
Common side effects of CBD include:
- Dry Mouth: This is the problem with most cannabinoid-based products. CBD may interact with receptors that control saliva production, resulting in mild or moderate dryness in the mouth. You may also notice strong feelings of thirst, especially when taking gummies with high concentrations of CBD. Staying well hydrated during that time should effectively curb the symptoms.
- Dizziness: Some users experience dizziness as a result of a temporary drop in blood pressure immediately after taking CBD products. For people with blood pressure issues or those taking certain medications, we recommend seeing a doctor before buying CBD gummies.
- Diarrhea: Extremely high doses of CBD may upset the stomach and trigger diarrhea.
- Appetite Fluctuation:CBD is thought to be a mild appetite suppressant, although some consumers report increased appetite after eating CBD gummies. This may be caused by the sugar inside the gummies, which further increases cravings. In addition, CBD gummies with added sugar may not be a good choice for people with diabetes or other conditions where the patient needs to limit sugar intake.
- Drowsiness: This is the most common side-effect that may occur if the strength is too strong. We always suggest starting small with CBD gummies and increasing them as needed. Also, the best time to try a CBD gummy is before bed, and not before operating heavy machinery, in case you feel drowsy.
Can You Get High from Eating CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies can relax you, but they won’t get you high in the same way that THC products do.
Some full-spectrum gummies will have trace amount of THC, but in most cases, this amount won’t exceed 0.3%.
And despite the lack of psychoactive effects, CBD gummies in high doses can make you feel sleepy. That’s why we always advise new consumers to err on the side of caution, especially if they need to stay focused throughout the day—or when operating on machinery and motor vehicles.
How Many CBD Gummies Should You Eat for the First Time?
A CBD gummy may contain anywhere from 5 to 25 mg of CBD, so it all boils down to how strong your gummies are. As we’ve noted, there’s no one-size-fits-all dosage; the optimal amount of CBD for any given individual depends on a range of biological factors. We always recommend start low and build up, so don’t be afraid to start with half a gummy.
The Best CBD Gummies Reviewed
- RA Royal CBD
RA Royal CBD Overview
Our top pick, RA Royal CBD is a Florida-based brand selling premium CBD products from organic hemp. The company offers a variety of flavors, including regular Gummy Bears, Sour Bears, Apple Rings, Watermelon, Peach Rings, Power Belts, and more. Their taste formula seems mastered to perfection.
These gummy bears come in various potencies starting at 5mg. Such small increments allow for more accurate dosage without experiencing sedation or other mild side effects.
These gummy bears feature 99.9% pure CBD, with 10 mg in each piece. Such
Since this is an isolate-based product, Royal CBD gummies have a pleasant, fruity taste, without the overwhelming botanical notes carried over from full-spectrum extracts.
The company’s standard CBD gummies are designed for daily consumption. Each gummy bear contains 99% pure CBD isolate, making them suitable for public employees or people who face routine drug tests.
There are small (300mg) and large (600mg) containers available; we recommend the latter because it saves you more money on the order.
Kore CBD gummies edibles are a great way to relax & fade into a restful night’s sleep. Choose your favorite flavor - Sour Twin Cherries or Watermelon Rings. Take one gummy to relax & two for a restful night’s slumber.
KORE gummies come packaged in individual grab-and-go packaging each with 7 gummies, perfect to throw in your purse or backpack! These also make great gift bag items for bachelorette parties or adult parties.
The potency of each gummy is 15mg. They contain 100% organic natural flavorings, no chemicals, and no pesticides.
These gummies are also 99% isolate with no THC making them suitable for public employees or people who face routine drug tests.
As with the Royal Gummies, these gummies are third party tested and have a certificate of analysis.